7 Important Lessons You Can Learn From A Child
We often think that our role is to teach our children. In reality, they teach us so much too.
The other day my 5 year old taught me a lesson. She reminded me that there is more than one way to do something and my way is not necessarily the only way. It got me thinking about other lessons we could learn from our kids.
Having kids in your life (whether they are your own or not) provides us with the opportunity to see the world through a different filter and to be reminded of some important life lessons that we sometimes forget.
- There Is No Other Moment Except The One We Are In Right Now - children are naturally present in the moment. They are not looking back or looking forward. Be present and mindful of what is happening in the here and now
- Don't Lose Your Curiosity - curiosity is what drives learning in our little ones. It is curiosity and the learning of new things that helps us learn about ourselves and what enriches us. Ask questions and be open to learning new things
- Communicate Honestly and Openly - have you noticed that children have no filter? They say what they think without worrying about how it is going to be perceived. As adults we spend so much time filtering what we are going to say for fear of rejection, offending others, or being an inconvenience. We can lose our voice and our needs remain unmet. Start speaking up.
- Feel All The Feels Wholeheartedly - love with all your heart, cry when you are sad, belly laugh when you find something funny, say when you are feeling frustrated, hurt or frightened. Feeling, acknowledging and expressing our emotions is healthy. Bottling them up and ignoring them is not.
- Take A Risk And Be OK With Failing - kids are natural risk takers. It is how they learn new skills and safe boundaries. If they try and fail, they get back up and try again. Taking risks and trying something new keeps us moving forward instead of stagnating in the same place. And if it doesn't work out that's ok. Try again or move onto a new adventure without regret.
- It's Ok To Ask For Help - there is no shame or embarrassment in asking for assistance. No one knows everything. You will not appear silly or stupid.
- Don't Forget To Have Fun - add an element of fun to everyday. Laugh, be silly, dance like no-one else is watching (and if they are - who cares?).
What lessons has a child in your life taught you? Let us know in the comments below.